Once again I was invited to taste the new treats put out by the delectable food vendors at the LA County Fair. Once again they did not disappoint!
I didn’t get a chance to do an official interview with Chicken Charlie but we did chat for a bit “off the record”. HA! We talked about his newest creation the Deep Fried Peanut Butter Pickle. He said he got the idea when his wife was pregnant and she was craving peanut butter. He thought don’t women usually crave pickles when they are pregnant? Why don’t I put the two of them together? BINGO! As he was telling us this story I thought don’t women (not me mind you) crave pickles and ice cream? So I said, “Why didn’t you make it a la mode?” He loved the idea and said we may see that next year. I completely released any hold I had on it and gave the idea to him fuilly (this is public acknowledgement of that release). Now when he make his fortune (HA!) off that idea maybe he will toss me a few deep fried oreos in recognition.
The Fair opens this Friday, September 4, 2015 and runs until Sunday, September 27, 2015. If you are itching to go you can get your Season Pass or buy your ticket at the door. While you are there you can use the handy dandy Food Finder to find exactly what you want to eat.
I took my friend Sheila with me (she’s like Mikey, she’ll try anything!) and here are her notes about all the food she tried. My notes will follow hers in RED. A photo gallery is at the bottom of the post.
- Slim Fast Bar- All due respect to the Slim Fast people, but the BEST way to eat a Slimfast Bar is breaded and deep fried. It’s kinda sweet, Kinda chocolaty, kinda bad, but its a SLIMFAST BAR. Try it. I will never eat a Slim Fast bar any other way again (Hell, I will never eat another Slim Fast bar).
- Bacon chicken and waffles- the waffle is a cinnamon batter. The chicken winglette is bacon wrapped maple sweet and deliciousness. If the thought of chicken and waffles makes you say WHAT?! try this. I didn’t care for the waffle but that could be because it was cold by the time I tried to eat it. The cinnamon batter had a good flavor but the waffle was more of a belgian waffle than a homemade one like I get at Roscoe’s. The chicken is a small leg or whatever all dark meat. I don’t like dark meat (except in my men buh dum ching) so I just picked at the bacon wrapped around it. That was very well cooked and tasty!
- Fried Guacamole- yep, me too. It was surprisingly excellent. A fresh and light avocado flavor. If a fried food could taste healthy, this is it. The guacamole went from a Latino delicacy to a Middle Eastern humus- falafel type dish. Nope, not me.
- Peanut Butter Pickle- Fair Food Challenge….. yea, nope not me either. Although my friend Jessica said she liked it so there’s that.
- Spicy PB&J Burger- sweet and savory heat. Do it. If they hadn’t put Siracha on this, I may have tried it.
- We missed the Chicken and Waffles in a Cone, but it looks like crispy fired chicken and waffles dusted in powdered sugar presented in a waffle cone. Should be yummy. Dang it! Definitely getting this when I go back after the Fair opens!
- Tasti Chips…. Tasti Chips are hands down my favorite thing to get at the Fair. I can walk around all day munching on the parmesan garlic chips (and pay for it with heartburn all night long).
- New Cuban Fusion Burger- With the US-Cuba relations opening, I want a more authentic Cuban Sandwich. What should have been a special kind of tasty ham and cheese was actually salty ham and Spam -type mystery patty with pickles disappointment. I don’t do Spam.
- Deep fried Cinnamon Apple Rings – good batter flavor. Be sure to eat these hot. I really wanted to like these. I think if they were hot they would have been amazing and will be something Marisa will enjoy.
- Deep Fried Pork Roll- Nope, a waste of deep frying. Stick with the beef sundae. The meat flavor is good and smokey. The fried wrap make the meat seem dry. Looked like a deep fried burrito, no thanks.
- Deep Fried Battered Corn- Classic Fair food. Once you get through the deep fried corn batter, the corn on the cob inside is in need of your personal flavor additions; which are there for your addition. Disclaimer – A toothless woman eating corn on the cob is not a pretty picture. So I didn’t taste this one, but I was highly intrigued.
- Deep Fried Corn- Clearly taste like frozen corn but is fried in good flavored oil. Adding your own seasonings makes this corn. Because of the aforementioned issue I scraped some of this off the cob and like Sheila said it tasted like frozen corn, but the seasonings on it were good.
Pink’s Hot Dog’s
- Chili Cheese Pastrami Fries- Salty cacophony of flavors that should have been good, but failed. You couldn’t get me to touch this with a ten foot pole.
- Bam Hot Dog slathered in jalepeno’s – Neither of us actually ate this, but Jessica devoured it so it must be good!
Los Angeles International Wine Competition
- Be sure to check out the Wine Education Program. Taste over 200 Gold Medal Winning Wines. View more than 2,000 international wine, spirits and extra virgin olive oil winners.
- Stella Rosa Peach is featured by the glass. It has a peach nose that actually delivers a pleasant sparkling fresh peach taste.