This post is written by Edwin Duterte and is a copy of the invite to a Flash Mob that will be happening in Los Angeles on March 22, 2012. This event is sponsored by Pink Slip Mixers and Hire America. If you are in the area and would like to attend, please go to the Eventbrite page and sign up or just show up!
Inspired by a group in New York, I am organizing an event to celebrate the fact that the economy is growing. This event’s goal is to encourage companies to hire America. We are going to do this simply by showing off how professional we are and how passionate we are willing to work.
My hope is to empower the unemployed and underemployed by raising awareness that the economy is growing and stay positive. In doing so, local companies will see there are great talent waiting to improve their companies’ profits.
The initiative will focus on three major groups:
- Military Personnel who are entering the private workforce
- Traditional Unemployed Professionals, many who are long-term
- Entry Level and newly graduating workforce.
We will be recommending solutions and “calls to action” to the community that will make our POSITIVE & Non-Political event effective.
Our recommendations are:
- Military Personnel are highly skilled, especially in technology. However, the civilian community does not fully understand that the skills our military professionals have learned are more transferable than perceived. Our “Call To Action” is for companies to take a stronger look at our Servicemembers and offer them jobs.
- Many of the 14 million unemployed have re-purposed and developed more skills that are current in the marketplace. These workers have high experience and strong skills that were enhanced by further education and training over the last 4 years. Employers should recognize these new skills combined with their previous experience and rehire these professionals. Our “Call To Action” is for companies to retool their workforce for the better by hiring these enhanced workers.
- Many of the other 14 million unemployed should understand the employers plight because the market is still tender. Hiring is a must for almost all of the companies to grow, but the high costs to hire such employment taxes, benefits and etc, make hiring almost as difficult as growing the revenue line. Our “Call To Action” is for job seekers to approach companies and “Apply on a Project Basis”, usually as an independent contractor.
- Entry level professionals are entering the most difficult job market on record. Our “Call To Action” for the new workers is to be more entrepreneurial and offer to also work on a “project basis” level so they can build their experience.
- Greater communication between the Hiring Community and the Job Seeker Community. Our “Call To Action” is to have “Townhall Meetings” to discuss where we as citizens can find solutions to work with one another and not rely on politics to decide where our future leads us.
How we will do this:
- Meet on Wilshire Blvd on Thurs. March 22 starting at 9 am on Wilshire. The entire event will last only 30 minutes.
- Each block will represent one of the focus groups
- Military professionals to meet on block between Veterans Avenue and Midvale Avenue
- Traditional unemployed will meet on block between Midvale Avenue and Westwood Ave
- New Entry Level and Students will meet on block between Westwood Ave and Glendon Avenue
- We will need to create a strong FB, Twitter, G+ campaign to share the event.
- The visuals
- Everyone MUST be in PROFESSIONAL ATTIRE
- Every focus group will be given two sheets of paper
- Pink Paper to represent Pink Slips and Unemployment
- Depending on Focus Group:
- Military will have Blue Sheet
- Traditional Unemployed will have White Sheet
- New Entry Workers will have Red Sheets
- Throughout the event, everyone will hold up and wave both sheets
- At a specified time, everyone will rip the pink sheets to represent that we are tired of the slow economy and ready to work
If you have any questions, go to PinkSlipMixers.com or email [email protected] for more details.